While ministry training and experience are always helpful, FS relies on the healing power of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, so the most important qualities a FS Director or Facilitator need are:
- a personal relationship with and deep love for Jesus Christ
- personal integrity and an authenticity about your own healing journey
- love and patience towards the people you minister to
- a willingness to prepare and lead others along the path
There are three distinct levels of leadership in Freedom Session or Authentic Living. (For convenience we will be using FS language but the same leadership principles also apply in AL.)
The FS Director:
- oversees and directs the FS ministry in a local church
- recruits and assigns responsibilities to the FS Small Group Facilitators
- sets the FS schedule for the year, orders materials and is responsible for dividing participants into small groups.
- emcees or appoints another to emcee the actual Freedom “Sessions”
- mediates and problem solves as needed
- reports to and is accountable to the pastoral leadership of his/her local church
- optional: if the FS Director has a teaching spiritual gift, s/he may choose to teach the materials live using the video teaching as a guide.
Training for the FS Director:
- We provide detailed, session by session Director Briefings to coach you through your ministry year. These
include a synopsis of each session, Director preparation responsibilities, “Pre-FS Facilitator Team meeting” outlines, suggested script for live Director Introduction and Wrap Up and any other recommendations from the FS author. These are included (soft copy) in the “FS Complete on USB” Church Edition and “FS on DVD” Home Group Edition.
- We are available to FS Directors by email for mentoring and ministry crisis intervention.
- Ken is available for video conferencing meetings (via Skype) with your pastoral and/or FS Ministry team. To arrange for such a meeting, please visit “Invite Ken to Speak” and select the video conferencing option. A fee is charged for video conferencing meetings.
The FS Small Group Lead Facilitator:
- Taks the FS journey themselves (including homework) to establish credibility among their Small Group members as well as their own continued healing journey.
- Spends 45-60 minutes each week preparing to lead the SMALL GROUP EXPERIENCE discussion according to the Facilitator Briefings. If s/he has an Assistant Facilitator, s/he is responsible to initiate a (weekly) Small Group planning discussion to effectively share the leadership role. The Assistant Facilitator is an assistant, not a fill-in when the Lead Facilitator can’t make it
- Arranges for and leads through the scheduled GOING DEEPER events throughout the year. A FS or AL GOING DEEPER event is a FS meeting without a Large Group teaching component. Each Small Group meets independently (usually in a home) and enjoys a prolonged time of sharing. Detailed Briefings for these sessions are included in the Facilitator Briefings. Note: Facilitators are encouraged to arrange for additional GOING DEEPER events as seem necessary and/or desired by Small Groups members.
- Lead through the FS SMALL GROUP EXPERIENCE.
- Pray for, love and assume pastoral care responsibilities for the 6-9 participants assigned to them.
Training for the FS Lead Facilitator:
- We provide detailed, session by session Facilitator Briefings that empower your Facilitators to effective lead the SMALL GROUP EXPERIENCE. These briefings are included (soft copy) in the “FS Complete on USB” Church Edition and “FS on DVD” Home Group Edition. These include a synopsis of each session, Facilitator preparation responsibilities and any other recommendations from the FS author.
- LIVE TRAINING SEMINARS: Pastor Ken [FS author] tries to hold 3-5 LIVE TRAINING SEMINARS/year in strategic locations. These are an excellent investment of your time and money and are subsidized by Freedom Session International Ministries so that you can bring your whole team. For the next LIVE training near you, click on the icon or visit: “Ken is Speaking.”
- Part of the FS Lead Facilitator’s “training” is to train and share ministry responsibilities with their Assistant Facilitator. We are called to make disciples and it is an honor to train additional leaders to serve in this ministry.
The FS Small Group Assistant Facilitator:
- Assists the Small Group Lead Facilitator in the SMALL GROUP EXPERIENCE. Weekly leadership assignments should be discussed and delegated by your Lead Facilitator.
- Assists in the pastoral care and intercession on behalf of Small Group Members. Your Faclitator may assign you 2-4 individuals to focus on.
Training for the FS Small Group Assistant Facilitator:
- Training for FS Small Group Assistants is the same as for the Lead Facilitator.
- In addition, your Lead Facilitator will mentor you, sharing insights they have found helpful in their ministry.