There are hundreds of private Freedom Session ministries taking place in living rooms across North America. Perhaps the next one will be in yours. It’s easier than you think and may be one of the most important decisions you make in life.
Originally, this option was developed so that everyone could experience freedom and healing, whether or not a church in their community offered Freedom Session or Authentic Living.
While we still encourage you to consider Freedom Session in the larger group format when offered in your area, we have learned some participants prefer a small group private setting. Some church plants or cell based churches also prefer this model. It still requires someone to lead or facilitate the meetings so we have created the “Freedom Session on DVD” Home Edition ministry kit to help you get started. We suggest you purchase both the Freedom Session and Authentic Living on DVD Home edition kits together to save money. Authentic Living is an 8 week follow up course to Freedom Session.
Freedom Session in Your Living Room works well for groups of 3 right up to 18. Here are some important lessons we’ve learned along the way. They can serve as a checklist for launching your ministry.
- Select the leader. If it is you, we encourage you to let your pastoral team know what you are doing and encourage them to visit our website if they’d like more information.
- Order the “Freedom Session on DVD” Home Edition ministry kit. If you have access to a video projector or smart TV, you may wish to purchase Freedom Session Complete on USB Church Edition ministry kit. Refer to the 1st Time Buyer guide to help you decide.
- Select the location and who will host. If you have a good friend you’d like to help facilitate the series, share the Facilitator Briefings you receive in your ministry kit with him/her.
- Decide whether your group will be women or men only or whether you will invite both. Sometimes a young married group will decide to take Freedom Session or Authentic Living together; or a singles group. If you invite both men and women, ensure the location you choose has at least two areas for small group discussion. You can have quiet worship music playing between the two areas for privacy. You will all watch the teaching segment together and then break into gender specific groups for discussion. Even with a couples group, it is very unwise and ineffective to remain co-ed for the small group discussions. Trust us.
- Select your launch date and invite friends to sign up. Ask them to commit to the full 20 weeks of Freedom Session and let them know it will also include a 60-90 minute weekly homework assignment. (Your group can decide later on whether to take Authentic Living together – most do.)Think through the number of people you invite in light of the space you have. The minimum number for a good Freedom Session in your Living Room experience is three. The optimal small group discussion size (in a home setting) is 3-6 people. Therefore, rather than inviting 7 women and 5 men, you may want to make it 8 women and 5 men so that you can divide the women into two groups for discussion.
- Order one Personal Workbook Set for each participant. We suggest you charge them up front. We realize this is an investment but we also know the entire workbook set is about ½ the cost of one hour of good Christian counseling. (Note: the Personal Workbook Set includes both Freedom Session workbooks PLUS the Authentic Living workbook.)
- Ensure you have a reliable DVD player, large screen TV and decent audio. We suggest you test the equipment with the resources you purchase from us. They are 99% compatible but there is always that nasty 1%.
- Organize a snack rotation. Using your home for this ministry is a very intimate experience and participants usually like to take their turn. You don’t have to do it all yourself.
- Begin preparing Session 01 by watching the session and work through the Facilitator Briefings.
- Read over Freedom Session in your Church for additional thoughts and suggestions.
If you are starting a Freedom Session in your Living Room and have further questions, please forward your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org in Canada or info.us@freedomsession in the USA and someone from our team will answer within 48 hours.
Note: We NEVER publish locations of private Freedom Session groups meeting in homes on our web site. If your church offers numerous Freedom Session in Your Living Room locations and is open to others joining you, please fill out the Register your Group and give us a primary contact person.