Freedom Session is well suited for resident recovery home ministry and needs very little adjustment to make it effective. In fact, we believe the strategic use of both Freedom Session and Authentic Living should be considered pre-requisites to completing a Christian residential recovery treatment program. Please read over the 12 Steps of FS to consider the fundamental differences between these and the traditional or even a typical Christianized version of the 12 Steps.
Depending on the size of your ministry and audio visual equipment, we suggest you purchase the “FS Complete” on USB Church Edition or “FS on DVD” / “AL on DVD” Home Edition ministry kits. The least expensive purchase plan for workbooks would be the Participant Guide “bundles.”
An ideal residential recovery home schedule consists of completing 2 sessions each week over 4 meeting times.
Below is a Monday – Friday suggested schedule we encourage you to consider. Adjust as necessary.
- Freedom Session teaching (via video or taught live)
- Coffee break
- Session small group experience but don’t discuss the homework. Spend your time more thoroughly answering the Small Group Experience questions. (place a counselor/staff member in each group to keep discussion moving, safe and effective.)
Tuesday early afternoon:
- Group therapy session: have your group counselor pick through the best On Your Own homework questions for residents to discuss and work through in a group setting. Your counselors should be well skilled in selecting appropriate questions. Groups should be no more than 6 and remain consistent.
- We suggest the group therapy session occurs Tuesday afternoon to give residents ample time to complete the homework in advance which will take 1-2 hours to complete for each session.
- Once you come to Step 4 (Mirror, Shield and Closet Inventory homework), you will need to be a little more careful with group therapy questions for confidentiality reasons. Note: residents should be encouraged to complete their Step 5 Confessions with a staff counselor or chaplain.
- No Freedom Session activity – residents can follow up on any other homework assigned in group therapy
- Same as Monday morning
Friday early afternoon:
- Group therapy session: same as Tuesday afternoon.
If you represent a recovery home where funding is an issue, we encourage you to apply for a sponsorship subsidy by emailing Freedom Session International Ministries (FSIM) with an overview of your ministry and your financial need.